Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!!

I know it has been forever since I have blogged, but I have been totally overwhelmed.  Student teaching.  Abby's extracurricular activities.  Wyatt (enough said).  A huge door knocking campaign that our congregation is doing in June- since Casey is the deacon over evangelism, we have a lot to do and prepare for.  Teaching Sunday school.  A million other obligations.  A house, family, dinner, laundry (please make it go away!!).  You get the idea!!  Just too much to do and unfortunately, blogging is the last thing on my list.  BUT...student teaching is almost over and my life will be a little calmer, at least until June.  Amen and hallelujah!

But I digress...I posted this to wish you all a wonderful Easter and to tell you a little about ours.  We have had a great one.  Last night we began our preparations.  We have a tradition of coloring eggs.  I actually hate coloring eggs.  It's a huge mess, and I'm the only one that eats hard boiled eggs, but the kids love it so I suffer through.  I didn't take many pictures during the actual coloring process because an unsupervised Wyatt + food coloring + light colored carpet equals bad news.  Here is a picture of the finished eggs:


I bought the roll-on egg dye this year thinking that it would be less messy, but not so much.  At least we put down a paint canvas before we started.

Another tradition we have is making Resurrection cookies.  Easter Bunny, eggs, candy, and all that fun stuff aside, the real reason for the day is to reflect on the sacrifice that Jesus Christ made on that cruel cross so that we can have salvation.  When Abby was just a baby, I came across THIS recipe for making a cookie while telling the story of Jesus' death and resurrection.  Each ingredient represents something that helps illustrate the story.  The finished cookie is hollow on the inside to represent the empty tomb. 



Abby and Wyatt making the cookies.  I think every picture I have of Wyatt recently shows him without a shirt.  I can't keep clothes on the boy!




The finished cookies.  Not only are these cookies an excellent tool for teaching the Easter story to children, but they are very tasty too.  (FYI: the plate that the cookies on were my great-grandmother Helen's wedding china.  Very special to me.)



Goody bags that I made for my Sunday school class.  I couldn't find Easter treat bags at our Walmart because it is under construction and everything is in the wrong place, so I opted for brown lunch bags and ribbon.



The Easter Bunny came! 



Checking out their baskets.  Can't you tell that Wyatt just woke up?

Getting ready for church.  Wyatt was not in a picture taking mood this morning at all.  This was honestly the best I could get!
 

Lots of sweet people at church gave Abby and Wyatt lots of treats (i.e.: candy), so they left services on a sugar high!  When we got home, I made a nice lunch of ham, roasted asparagus, baked potatoes, rolls, and strawberry salad.  Then it was time for the egg hunt!


Again with the no shirt thing.  He just won't wear one!  Shoes either, apparently.

Ignore the brown grass.  We spent all day yesterday gardening and working on the lawn, so it will be really green, really soon!

Abby showing off one of the prize money eggs she found.  I wanted to hunt for these eggs. ;)

Well, that's the gist of it.  I hope that you and your family had a great day too!  Stay tuned for some fun (and more frequent) blog posts.  I have a lot of things to share including some wedding preparations (my sister's getting married and I'm her maid of honor), some decorating and outdoor projects,  gardening posts, fun stuff with the kids, and lots more.  Plus, I'm getting a blog makeover really soon!  I can't wait!!!  I've been on a waiting list for over 2 months and it's finally my turn. 

Happy Easter!!!

2 comments:

Debbie Griffin said...

Sounds like a perfect Easter. I wish I had been there. Everything was beautiful and I love the cookie lesson. Love you all very much. Mom

Karen said...

Look at your Easter bunnies they are too cute! I am glad you had a nice Easter.