Tuesday, February 8, 2011

First Day of Student Teaching

Yes, today was my first actual day in the classroom, and I loved every minute of it!  My cooperating teacher, Mrs. S, is an absolute jewel.  I did all of my previous observations in her classroom and requested to student teach with her.  I was overjoyed when I found out I would be with her! 

We had our student teaching orientation yesterday, and I have to admit that I was really overwhelmed and intimidated after the two hour lecture on education law and liability in Texas.  And then again once they started talking about how competitive teaching jobs will be because of the massive cutbacks here in Texas.  Seriously, my stomach was in a knot by the time I left.  The one shining light of the orientation was meeting my University Supervisor.  This is the person who will come to evaluate me three times during my assignment and decides (along with my cooperating teacher) whether I pass or fail student teaching.  She is the sweetest lady and reassured us that she is our biggest cheerleader and wants us to succeed.  She told us not to be nervous when she comes in because she is not super critical.  That does take some pressure off.

Once I was in the classroom, all my fears were squashed.  Is it a huge job?  Yes.  Am I still a little nervous?  Yes.  Am I completely confident yet?  No.  But I do know that this is what I am called to do, and I will give it 100 percent. 

The next three months are going to be super busy for me, so I don't know how often I will be able to blog.  I am still going to try and post often because I love it but getting situated and adjusted with student teaching is at the top of my priority list.  I'll still be reading your blogs though!


Happy Tuesday! 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled for you, Lisa!!!

You are going to be great cause your heart is 100% there! :)

We never knew who was going to be grading us. There were 5 teachers and NO ONE wanted Miss F. And guess what? I got her 3 of the 4 times we were graded. UGH!!
She was tough but it definitely helped me throughout my teaching days!

Emily said...

I'm so happy it went well for you after having that scare the other day! I'm so so glad it'll be such a good thing for you.


I'll miss your posts as regularly but look forward to reading how its going when you do have time to post!

Karen said...

Good luck I have no doubts you will be teacher of the year. It sure seems like you have chose a career that makes you happy and that will bless you and the little ones. So many people work for a check you want to work for the children.

Post when you can we completely understand. If you need anything let me know.

Greer's Gossip said...

How exciting! I remember my first day of student teaching, I was super nervous. I hate to say it but when it came to disciplining the students, I stayed that way the whole semester because I was scared the teacher would get upset at me for fussing at her kids. haha...

I have learned now that I am the one having the student teachers, that was a mistake!! Act like you own that room girl and have fun!! :)

Kalina said...

So excited for you! Nerves are natural but I am sure you will do wonderfully. You are a mommy and mommies are the best teachers! Hope your student teaching continues to go well for ya :)

Bre said...

I'm glad you had a good first day!!