Friday, January 7, 2011

Favorite Memory of 2010

Click on the box above to participate in 11 in 2011.

Today's Topic: Favorite Memory of 2010

This is so hard because I have so many favorite memories.  I have precious memories of my children and husband, fun memories of get togethers with friends, but there is one very personal memory that stands out....




I graduated from college in May!  

(Not a great picture, but it is what it is)

Not only did I graduate, but I graduated magna cum laude.  Not bad for a thirtysomething mama of two!

{A little back story:  I got my Associate in Interior Design right after high school.  However,  I held off on finishing my Bachelor because the closet college to offer Interior Design was two hours away.  By this time I had met and fell in love with Casey.  Not wanting to move, I decided to take some paralegal classes and worked as a legal secretary for a few years.  By then, we had gotten married and I was pregnant with Abby.  After becoming a stay at home mommy, I decided to finish my degree and get my elementary teacher certification.  I just went really slowly, taking a couple of classes at a time until I finished.  I have had to take some graduate level classes to finish my certification, but now I just have to complete student teaching and I'll be a certified teacher.} 


I can't even describe how I felt this day!  As a wife and mother, I give to and take care of others all the time.  I felt like I did something for me.  Very accomplished!


My sweet friend Melissa decorated my car in the parking lot...






My family came down and celebrated my accomplishment by throwing me a little party!







Abby graduated from Kindergarten in May too, so we joke that we graduated together. :)

I wanted to finish my degree just to prove to myself that I could.  I will say that it would have been MUCH easier to do prior to children.  I spent many a very late night finishing papers and other assignments, but it was so worth it in the end. 

One of these days I'll finish my Master's degree too, but for right now, I'm happy that I did this. 

8 comments:

Karen said...

That is so awesome! You are inspiring. It is is hard to find the time and commit, congratulations to you.

Kalina said...

This is such a huge accomplishment! Congrats to you and Abby! :)

Emily said...

That is WONDERFUL! What an accomplishment with two kiddos. I don't know how you did it! I was thankful to have gotten all my schooling out of the way before Cooper came, I got my Masters in August 2009 and Coop was born in October, so I cannot imagine how you could have done it!!! Amazing! CONGRATS LISA!

Anonymous said...

This is a fabulous memory!! Congratulations on accomplishing all that you set out to do, not letting anything stop you!! :)

Kit said...

This is so awesome! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I don't think that I could have done it while raising kids, too!

april@Party of Five
http://www.westerhold.blogspot.com

Kristy said...

Congrats!! So cute that you graduated with your daughter :)

Jenni said...

Congratulations! So exciting!